As well as making chocolate free blondies I also made Vegan Brownies. All of this baking was for a girls night in with friends. As well as a friend with chocolate allergies, a vegan friend also attended. So I decided to make her some brownies so she didn't miss out on all of the fun.
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tightly-packed cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 90g vegan dark chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, at room temp.
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tspn vanilla paste
- 100g vegan white chocolate, roughly cut up if a block.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Add the salt and sugar. Gentle stir by hand, if you use a mixer for this it will likely go everywhere.
- Add the dark chocolate, margarine, soy milk and vanilla to the bowl and beat until the mixture is completely combined.
- Fold in the white chocolate pieces.
- Spoon in the brownie mixture into the baking tray and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or so until the top looks cooked and a skewer comes out clean when poked into the centre of the brownies.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving or slicing.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.
Add all of the dry ingredients into the bowl.
Melt the vegan dark chocolate.
Add the wet ingredients.
Mix until combined.
Chop up the vegan white chocolate.
Mix in the chocolate chunks.
Pour into the prepared tray and flatten the top.
Once cool, cut up and serve.
The brownies can easily pass as standard brownies. They were cake like brownies with a small nutty taste from the soy milk in them. But, obviously, use your favourite non-dairy milk. I am very pleased with the recipe and my vegan friend absolutely loved them. I had some left over dark cocoa which made up almost half the cocoa requirements and gave the finished product a richer flavour. Both of the brownies sat happily on the dessert table while we watch 'Memoirs of a Geisha' and 'Little Miss Sunshine'.
We are looking at making the movie night a regular thing and I look forward to exploring more vegan and chocolate free desserts for my friends.
Until next time.
Love, Love Elle.