By right, blondies are cocoa free brownies. I only make the point of calling them chocolate free because a friend of mine is allergic to chocolate. More accurately cocoa. Poor girl, I know. So she can not eat a lot of delicious food, including white chocolate. Even though white chocolate doesn't have cocoa solids in it, it still has cocoa butter. What she can eat though is Milkybar because it contains no cocoa whatsoever. Another product she can eat is TimTam White. So I found a delicious blondie recipe and chopped up Milkybar instead of standard chocolate. Oh, she is also allergic to nuts as well as a large range of other foods, so walnuts etc were not an option.
Adapted from Blondies
Cooking time: 25-30mins
- 250g butter, melted
- 2 cups of tightly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp of vanilla paste
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 block of Milkybar (or chocolate of choice. approx. 180g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spray cooking oil and line a 32x23cm rectangle cake tin. Put the melted butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk or into the bowl of your stand mixer and whisk together.
- Add the eggs and vanilla paste and continue to whisk.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and change to a beater attachment or use a wooden spoon to mix together. Add roughly chopped Milkybar.
- Pour into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting into squares and serving.
Dark brown sugar for extra richness.
Lightly whisk the eggs.
Whisk butter and sugar.
Whisk in the eggs and vanilla paste.
Then stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Roughly chop the Milkybar.
Mix in the Milkybar.
Pour into the prepared tin and bake.
Allow to cool.
Chop up the blondie into squares and serve.
The blondies were a huge success. The dark brown sugar helped to make them deliciously caramelly and very gooey. Using vanilla paste made them rich and decadent. My friend felt very special that I made blondies designed for her. She sadly misses out on a lot of great food because of her extensive allergy list, but I was more then happy to accommodate her needs. I am lucky enough to be able to eat anything that I choose, although I do choose not to eat a lot of things. I don't often bake for me, I prefer to bake for others.
Until next time.
Love, love Elle.